Friday, February 24, 2012

Bicycle Telemetry

Got a Garmin Edge 500 for Christmas (thanks, Beth and Steve)!  Now, I've had bicycle computers before, but the level of telemetry associated with this one is exhilarating:  speed (of course), as well as average and max speeds, a record of the route, calories burned, cadence [yes, I got the accessory], heart rate [yes, again].  But that isn't the full picture.  The computer (which is surprisingly well-designed for multiple bikes) also allows one to save workouts and courses, which it then lets you replay to do specific interval/cadence/fitness workouts whenever you need to, or check your performance on saved courses against a standard.

So, what's the issue?  None at all, except that I get entranced and obsessed with the record-keeping side.  I ride early in the morning, when it's still dark, and constantly checking my data threatens to involve me in a crash when I attempt to shift between screens on the computer, or turn on the backlight.  I've become aware that my obsession has some negative elements.

It did take a while to set up the machine--learning how to connect the accessories, configuring the information screens, setting up bicycle profiles, and so on.  But there's more; I personally am constantly tempted to check all my data at any given moment.  One morning, I was so obsessively trying to get all to work right (worrying about my low heart rate alarm, checking my cadence) that I literally did not remember the first mile of my ride.  And this ride crossed a major intersection with a stoplight that has sensor problems, so I'm sometimes forced to cross it against the signal.

One of the reasons I ride early is to reset myself mentally and physically for my day.  I love the routes and views as the light begins to grow in the morning.  I remind myself of what is really important:  experiences in which I am completely present, experiences that enhance my personal discipline and health, experiences of natural beauty, time for spiritual contemplation.  So, I have needed to put my telemetry into perspective as well.  This perspective was helped by the fact that I had inadvertently left my computer at our Mexican beach cabin (where I was using it to map my running workouts--did I mention that the routes can be pictured on Google Earth? See--waaaaay too fun!).  Anyhow, when I got it back (thanks, David and Debbie!), I decided to be more disciplined in my use.  That's another strength of the device; I can turn it on and forget it until the end of the ride.  Now I do that, and analyze my workout later.  If I need to know my speed or my cadence, I glance when the streetlight's on the computer.  But I still need to turn off the audible low heart rate alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment